Finds from the Tauplitzer "Lieglloch", a cave above the town centre, prove that the region was once used as a hunting area. In the Bronze Age the high valley was on the important travel route between Hallstatt and Ennstal that was regularly used. Tourists first visited Bad Mitterndorf in Roman times. The Romans knew about the thermal spring Heilbrunn and enjoyed its soothing water. Mitterndorf was first mentioned in documents in 1147. After that colonial settlements from north and south, as well as changing ownership and power relations, had a lasting effect on the region. In 1868 with the construction of the Heilbrunner Badhaus, the starting signal was given for the development of Bad Mitterndorf as a growing tourist region. In 1937, the first ski lift started operating in Tauplitz. In 1961 the Alpine Road was built on the Tauplitzalm and in 1962 the alpine pasture was opened up as a sustainable holiday region. Since 1972 Mitterndorf has been recognised as a spa town and is able to use the word Bad (spa) before its name. Since then the region has been further developed in accordance with the requirements of nature-friendly, gentle tourism, as evidenced by the most recent examples of the Mitterstein cable car or the Grimming Spa.