Hinterberger Panorama Trail - Station Lenzbauernalm

Bad Mitterndorf, Steiermark, Österreich

The route runs across the Hinterbergertal valley along the sunny Höhenweg, from Kainisch/Radling, via Knoppen, Obersdorf, Singerhauserhütte, via the Simonywarte and Brentenmöser-Alm to the Bergeralm and on to Tauplitz. Along the route, information boards provide interesting facts about the nature, culture and history of the valley.

Historic salt works economy - drifting of Hallholz

Until the railway era, the forests of the Hinterberger valley supplied Hallholz for the Aussee salt works. The tributaries of the Traun, the Ödensee and other waters were connected, as everywhere in the Salzkammergut, to form an overarching "drift system", based on a variety of technical installations (risen, Klausen and rakes). A substantial part of the wood came from the Kemet Mountains on the southern edge of the valley, in front of the eastern Dachstein plateau. Timber workers from the salt works trifled Hallholz from the Ridlbach and from Lake Ödensee on to the Kainischer Traun to Aussee. One example of a technical facility is the Ridlbachklause, first mentioned in a document in 1561 and newly built of ashlars in 1868, located above Mühlreith and still visible today. In 1901, the Hallholz drift in the Salzkammergut was abandoned.


Historic saltworks - peat extraction in the Ödensee Moor

From the 18th century onwards, the Aussee salt works used peat as a substitute and supplementary material for firewood in the brew. Peat cutting at Lake Öden began in 1741, and peat production at Lake Öden increased continuously during the 19th century. Peat cutting was always a summer labour. In late autumn, peat was brought to Unterkainisch (the site of the salt works) and mixed with wood for the brewing process. Peat extraction in the Ödenseer Moor initially survived the introduction of coal. It finally ceased in 1925.


Historic saltworks and local handicrafts
(> View direction Mühlreith/next clearing)

Since the Middle Ages, the Hinterbergertal valley had been part of the saltworks region and subsequently part of the Styrian sovereign and later state "Kammergut". The historical Aussee saltworks were not only associated with the use of wood in the valley, but also with a number of other trades. These included, for example, salt transport, craftsmen's workshops such as wainwrights, blacksmiths, saddlers or sawmills or a brickyard southwest of the Kumitzberg. There were numerous inns and hostels along the salt road. One of the largest private workshops in the valley was the Kalß family's Zeugschmiede in Mühlreith. The business was later taken over by Johann Weihnacht, who became prosperous with special products such as draw irons, scythes and sickles, which were exported as far as Russia.


The Hinterberg agricultural pioneer Paul Adler
(> View direction Mühlreith/next clearing)

A good 200 years ago, the Mühlreith farmer Paul Adler (1770 - 1843) played a special role in agricultural progress in the Hinterberger Valley. He was in close contact with Archduke Johann, who supported agricultural modernisation in Styria and founded the Agricultural Society (forerunner of the Chamber of Agriculture) in 1819. Adler knew the important agricultural reference books of his time. He experimented in various fields, gathered experience and made records - for example in potato, cereal and fruit growing, beekeeping and wool processing. Adler was also active in weather observation and had all the important utensils of a naturalist of his time. He is credited with several innovations in the valley, such as the introduction of the potato and the Pinzgauer breed of cattle. As a sideline, Adler worked for many years as a master wood and stone worker's servant for the Aussee salt works. He was a child of the Josephine era and saw himself as a persistent social liberal reformer. He sought contact with educated people, sought intellectual freedom, cared little for class distinctions and championed the concerns of the neighbourhood and the poorer population.


Kainisch - Pichl - Mühlreith - Knoppen

The villages of Knoppen, Pichl, Mühlreith and Kainisch were part of the "Lordship of Hinterberg", which existed from the Middle Ages until 1848. Together they finally formed the political municipality of Pichl or Pichl-Kainisch, which was merged with the municipality of Bad Mitterndorf in 2015. Whereas the timber industry, handicraft businesses, peat extraction and mountain farming used to be characteristic, Pichl and Kainisch are home to the Ödensee nature experience and are an important business location.

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
  • Hiking
General price information

The Hinterberg Panorama Trail can be hiked free of charge.

We wish you much pleasure!

Season
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Autumn

Please get in touch for more information.

Contact


Hinterberger Panorama Trail - Station Lenzbauernalm
Kainisch 35
8984 Bad Mitterndorf

Phone +43 664 9304622
E-Mailbert.wachinger@aon.at
Webwww.lenzbaueralm.at
http://www.lenzbaueralm.at

Contact person
Engelbert Wachinger
Lenzbauer Alm
Kainisch 35
8984 Bad Mitterndorf

Phone +43 664 9304622
E-Mailbert.wachinger@aon.at
Webwww.lenzbaueralm.at

powered by TOURDATA