Hinterberger Panorama Trail - Station Furtberg

Bad Mitterndorf, Steiermark, Österreich

The route runs across the Hinterbergertal valley along the sunny Höhenweg, from Kainisch/Radling, via Knoppen, Obersdorf, Singerhauserhütte, via the Simonywarte and Brentenmöser-Alm to the Bergeralm and on to Tauplitz. Along the route, information boards provide interesting facts about the nature, culture and history of the valley.

Kulm - The dream of flying

Ski jumping was already a Mitterndorf passion in the pioneering days of winter sports, with competitions on a ski jump on the Poser. After larger ski jumps were built in the 1930s in places like Obersdorf, Planica or Bischofshofen, Mitterndorf, Tauplitz and Aussee ski pioneers also became active. After the end of the war, Mitterndorf ski officials and the mayor Alois Neuper made efforts to realise a large ski jump on the Kulm. In 1948 it was decided to build a ski jump with a critical point of 100 metres, supported by the province of Styria. With the energetic support of many people from Mitterndorf and Tauplitz, the ski jump was built in accordance with the tight financial conditions, using a lot of voluntary manual labour and only a few technical aids. Ski flying events have been held regularly at the Kulm since 1950. Over the decades, the ski jump was constantly expanded. In 1965, the ski flyer Peter Lesser (GDR) achieved the world record of the time with 145 metres. From the very beginning, ski flying at Kulm was an internationally popular and important sporting event with a special flair.


The Krungl burial ground

After part of the village of Krungl fell victim to a major fire in 1873, locals found traces of a hitherto unknown historical burial ground when rebuilding their houses. Finds like the excavation results of the Landesmuseum Joanneum represented a sensation. The "Krungl cemetery" became widely known. Subsequently, repeated excavations took place until the 1980s. A total of up to 300 graves were recorded. The Krungl cemetery, along with similar finds in Hohenberg near Aigen, constitutes archaeological evidence of settlement in the valley between the 8th and 10th centuries. The graves date from a time when Slavs as well as Bavarians settled the region, when the formerly independent Slavic duchy of Carantania (the area of Styria, Carinthia and Slovenia) became part of the Bavarian or Carolingian-Franconian empire. The finds from Krungl belong to the so-called "Carolingian-Ottoman row grave fields", as also in Hohenberg near Aigen or in Aich-Assach, Stainach or Lassing. To date, there is no evidence of the existence of a settlement belonging to the cemetery. Why such a large number of people stayed at this site in a region with a relatively harsh climate is, cautiously interpreted, associated with the importance of mineral resources and trade routes (salt trade), as the graves bear witness to obvious prosperity. Possibly it was part of an early medieval small territory between Pürgg and Lassing, of which Krungl was also a part, closely connected to the Carantanian area.


Tauplitz and Tauplitzalm

Tauplitz historically belonged to the parish of Pürgg as well as to the lordship of Trautenfels. At the end of the 18th century, the village was given its own parish and, since municipal autonomy, was a separate municipality until 2015. Tauplitz advanced in connection with the Tauplitzalm to become a special winter sports and mountain sports community. In the 1920s, not only new ski schools were established, but also the now well-known infrastructure of refuges on the Tauplitzalm, such as the Theodor Karl Holl House of the Austrian Section of the German-Austrian Alpine Association (1925) or the Friends of Nature House (1926). Viktor Hierzegger from Tauplitz was one of the farmer boys in the region who was fascinated by skiing. He became a lift pioneer on the Tauplitzalm and thus influenced the later development of the area into a winter sports centre. In 1935 he built Austria's first licensed lift. From the 1950s onwards, drag lifts and chairlifts were built on a larger scale on the Tauplitzalm. In 1954 the chairlift from Tauplitz to the Tauplitzalm went into operation as the longest mountain lift in Europe at the time. A modern infrastructure was created, transforming the former alpine pasture area into a modern "alpine village", and gradually hotels and other accommodation were built. In 1963, the Tauplitz parish was given a daughter church, the Holy Trinity, on the Tauplitzalm. Likewise, new inns, hotels, a holiday settlement and other tourism businesses were built in the village of Tauplitz.

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
  • Hiking
General price information

The Hinterberg Panorama Trail can be hiked free of charge.

We wish you much pleasure!

  • Suitable for kids (all ages)
  • Suitable for children

Please get in touch for more information.

Contact


Hinterberger Panorama Trail - Station Furtberg
Nr. 59
8983 Bad Mitterndorf

Phone +43 3623 22 - 02
Fax machine +43 3623 220233
E-Mailgde@bad-mitterndorf.steiermark.at
Webgemeinde.bad-mitterndorf.at/de/
https://gemeinde.bad-mitterndorf.at/de/

Contact person
Klaus Neuper
Marktgemeindeamt Bad Mitterndorf
Nr. 59
8983 Bad Mitterndorf

Phone +43 3623 22 - 02
Fax machine +43 3623 220233
E-Mailgde@bad-mitterndorf.steiermark.at
Webgemeinde.bad-mitterndorf.at/de/

powered by TOURDATA