Tressensteinwarte (Lookout Tower)
Enjoy the impressive view from the newly constructed Tressensteinwarte.
Reached from the Tressensteinsattel in three-quarters of an hour, the newly built 14m high lookout tower provides an impressive panorama view. In addition, there is an observation platform called the "Kanzel" which gives a wonderful view over the Bad Aussee.
The Tressensteinwarte is accessible from Bad Aussee and Grundlsee on foot.
On June 23, 1888, Empress Elisabeth, after a tour through the Totes Gebirge, stayed in Grundlsee and visited the Tressenstein. In 1901, construction started on the Tressenstein lookout tower.
As part of the preparations for the construction, the footpaths from Altaussee and from Markt Aussee were widened and improved by the Ausseer Alpine Club. In places the path had to be dynamited. The narrow, difficult path from the saddle to the top of Tressenstein was also widened.
To raise the money for the construction of the lookout tower, the Alpine Club Aussee applied for a subsidy from the main club in Vienna. However, only a small sum was available so the Ausseer Alpine Association called on local people and spa guests to make donations. Many events took place to raise funds and people were asked to make donations at every concert or event. Eventually, through contributions from the councils, the Sparkasse Bank, the Spa CommisArbeiter-Konsum Association and many guests, the necessary money was raised.
On 30.06.1907 the Tressensteinwarte was opened. The Ausseer businessman Josef Nöbauer, who had originally had the idea, gave the opening speech. The choral society and local brass band provided the musical entertainment.